Meta Data
Revision of previous policy?: 
Draft Year: 
Effective Start Year: 
Document Type: 
Economic Sector: 
Energy Types: 
Power, Renewable, Other
Issued by: 
The Cook Island Government
Overall Summary: 
The document defines Cook Island's commitment to measures against climate change. The Cook Island's Government defines its targets, adapation (including both unconditional and conditional measures) and mitigation measures. Cook Islands intended nationally determined contribution is defined as: "fair, ambitious and responsible given its special circumstances and considering that its total global GHG emission is negligible". Targets include emission reduction from electricity generation by 38% by 2020 against 2006 baseline.
EE priorities: 
To ensure sustainability and the credibility of its efforts, the Cook Islands will endeavour to put in place the appropriate structures to monitor, evaluate and pursue value added activities. These will include inter alia undertake the construction of additional and new grid storage, integration of improved energy efficiency and new technologies (...]
Renewable Energy
RE targets: 
The Cook Islands has formally submitted a Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Action (NAMA) under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change for supporting implementation of 100% renewable electricity by 2020.
GHG emissions reduction targets: 
Using 2006 as the base year, emission from electricity generation will be reduced by 38% by 2020---[R]educe emissions from electricity generation by a further 43%, totalling an 81% emissions reduction by 2030 (relative to 2006). This further reduction is conditional on receiving external support.
Decarbonization strategy: 
Additionally, the Cook Islands is looking to embrace proven low carbon transport technologies and is currently exploring the most effective incentives for promotion of transition towards clean energy transportation. This will further reduce our overall emissions, conditional on external support.
Clean energy technology priorities: 
[C]onstruction of additional and new grid storage, integration of improved energy efficiency and new technologies, technology transfer, and strengthening capacities for overall sustainability and co-benefits [...].